Today, we’re not going to talk to you about the ROI of social media marketing, what executives expect from your social media efforts, or any of that stuff.
Instead, we’ve got 50 cold, hard facts, which clearly illustrate that a) your customers are online, b) that you should be too, and c) that social media can help you reach people in ways you couldn’t do otherwise.
We’ll let the numbers speak for themselves about what social media can help you do.
Social media can help you… be your own evangelist:
1) 85% of customers expect businesses to be active in social media.
2) 80% of businesses are not passionate. Show that you are human for the best engagement.
3) Business that blog get 55% more web visitors and 67% more leads.
4) 71% of complaints on Twitter are NOT responded to – that’s killing your brand.
5) 77% of people like getting exclusive offers that they can redeem via Facebook. We assign more value to products that are less available.
6) 77% of online shoppers use reviews to make purchase decisions.
7) Social Proof: 81% of customers reach out to friends and family members on social networking sites for advice before purchasing products.
8) 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations – only 14% trust ads.
9) 36% of people trust brands more when they have a social presence.
Social media can help you… earn customers with content:
10) 74% of people on Facebook use it daily, compared to 35% of those on Twitter.
11) 68% of consumers go to social networking sites to read product reviews.
12) 50% or more use social networks to provide product feedback, both positive and negative.
13) 59% of consumers say user-generated product reviews have a significant or good impact on their buying behavior.
14) Use social media content to encourage purchase: 68% of email subscribers and twitter followers are likely to buy. 51% of FB fans are likely to buy.
15) 77% of customers read brand posts.
Social media can help you…grow your fan count:
16) Facebook has 845 million+ users.
17) Twitter: 140 million active users tweet an average of 340 million tweets per day.
18) Linkedin: 150 million+ users.
19) Google +: 100 million+ users.
20) Engage one, get noticed by hundreds: Facebook users have larger network for more sharing power. 57% of FB users have more than 100 friends.
Social media can help you… optimize your PR:
21) Coupons and Discounts are the most appreciated type of information from brands on Social Media, especially FB (followed by brand news, answers to questions, how-tos and interviews coming in at dead last)
22) 32% of consumers prefer to get short updates from brands via social media.
Social media can help you… P.R.ove your impact:
23) 29% of people on Twitter follow a brand.
24) 39% of people on Twitter have tweeted about a brand.
25) 29% of people have retweeted about a brand.
26) 58% of Facebook users have liked a brand.
27) 42% of Facebook users in a study have mentioned a brand in a status update.
28) 41% of Facebook users have shared a link, video or story about a brand.
29) 51% of people who “like” brands on FB say they’re likely to buy a product after “liking” them.
30) According to small business owners, 51% of them said that wall posts are the most effective Facebook tactic to reach customers.
31) 80% of U.S. social network users prefer to connect with brands through Facebook.
32) The average time on site for consumers who cannot comment or share using their social identities is 5 minutes.
33) The average time on site for consumers who can share content using a social login is over 11 minutes.
34) The average time on site for consumers who can comment using a social login is over 15 minutes.
35) The average number of page views for consumers who cannot comment or share using their social identities is 4.
36) The average number of page views by consumers who can share/comment on content using a social login is 11.
37) 90% of B2B companies are currently on Facebook.
38) 61% of US marketers use social media to increase their lead gen.
39) Companies on Twitter get two-times the amount of leads per month.
40) Companies who have an active blog get 67% more leads per month.
41) Linkedin generates more leads than Facebook, Twitter or Blogging for B2B.
42) IBM reported a 400% increase in sales in a quarter, tied to a pilot program of social selling.
Social media can help you…find your Inner Rockstar (yes, that’s a Dayna Steele reference):
43) FB users who “like” brands have more influence than those who don’t.
44) 62% of Fortune 500 companies have an active corporate Twitter account.
45) 58% of Fortune 500 companies have a corporate Facebook Page.
46) 86% of small businesses find Facebook most effective in engaging customers.
47) Facebook has the most influence on baby brands.
48) YouTube has the most influence on music brands.
49) Review sites have the most influence on electronic brands.
50) After a brand engages with a prospect, 36% of people prompted to purchase, 20% of people prompted to recommend that brand, 3% changed their impression of that brand, 8% changed their awareness of the brand.
Still need convincing? Take a free trial of our social marketing software from the Vocus Marketing Suite. We promise you won’t regret it.