Five Bing and Yahoo Search Marketing Tips

Guest post by Geoff Livingston. Geoff is an author, public speaker and marketing strategist.

Google is still the king of search, but Bing now commands 16% of all search traffic. In addition, Bing powers Yahoo! search giving it another 12.2% of the search market, a total of 28.2% or nearly one third of all searches.

It’s important to consider Bing in your website optimization and content development.

Here are five tips to help you build a stronger Bing and Yahoo! presence:

1) Linking Out Matters: Google rewards backlinks, and so does Bing, especially from high-traffic sites. However, Bing also seems to value outbound links more than its bigger rival. Make sure you are providing link love to your sources and related content for a more favorable Bing index placement.

2) Use Images: Bing will prioritize one local business over another if it has an image in its content. Make sure your website has great imagery embedded not only on the front page, but also with its contact information, and in particular addresses.

3) Content Length Matters: Bing prefers indexing content with more than 300 words. Mark Twain would be thrilled! While mobile is forcing content providers to become less verbose, long content still with several paragraphs or more still has a place in Bing.

4) Differentiate for Niches: On Bing’s UK blog, the team hints that it has created an algorithmic method for determining differentiation within topical niches. Specifically, they coach those seeking to win to go beyond keyword optimization, content creation and linking, and develop strategies that will make your business stand out next to competitors. This requires research and understanding of which competitors are getting indexed and why.

5) Know and Use Bing’s Partners: OpenTable, Quora, Yelp, Klout and others are all Bing content partners. The search engine relies on their listings, topics, customer reviews and social scores, respectively, to source content.

Optimize your website content effort with strong placements and in-bound links in these categorical sub networks. This strategy is no different than Google, which traditionally provides sites like Flickr and Wikipedia with extra weight.

What Bing optimization tips would you add?

Need more search advice? Check out the truth behind these common SEO myths.

Comments

comments

Did you like the post?

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (1 votes, average: 4.00 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

Speak Your Mind

*